Jun 26, 2013

Missing contacts after installed 7.1.0.991 (Bundle 2705) on my Blackberry Bold 9930


Saw an alert yesterday on my Blackberry Bold 9930 indicating that I needed to install a software update to my phone. Hooked it up to my computer so that Blackberry Desktop Software would automatically launch - subsequently backing up everything on my phone – after which I would go ahead and install the new software.

Everything seemed to go fine – I was working on some other stuff on the computer at the same time but I am pretty sure that the Blackberry Desktop Software required a preliminary update, as well? I continued working on other projects as the desktop software and my phone worked together to get everything updated.


When everything seemed to have stopped, I looked down at my phone and began to feel anxious when I saw that, after having restored itself, nothing looked as it used to. (Background, icons, etc all looked generic.) I looked at the Blackberry Desktop Software screen and saw this message:

          Your BlackBerry! Device Software is updated and you can safely disconnect your device.

          Warmings were encountered during the loading process:


          Application data could not be restored to the device. The backup data file has been

          saved to (file name/location within my computer) You can use the Desktop Software
          Backup/Restore tool to restore this information.

I very carefully copied this message and did what it had said to do, using Desktop Software Backup/Restore to restore the above-mentioned file to my phone. (Pat self on back, seemed to work great, proud of myself, etc. lol)

It was not until later (once I had disconnected from the desktop software and was driving home, trying to make a phone call) that I realized that only a fraction of my contacts (600/2900) had been restored. (As you can imagine, this messes up the appearance of the messages/text inbox.)

A quick internet search today (using terms like "blackberry bold 7.1 bundle 2705 contacts lost") did not yield any specific solution-focused results. My specific problem does not seem to be a widespread problem.

My next idea was to go into the backup file that the Desktop Software had created (prior to having installed the installing the 7.1.0.991 on my Bold) and to restore just the contacts portion of that backup file to my phone.

No dice - the "address book" portion of the backup files that the desktop software creates "are read-only data-types and cannot be restored"???

So that is where I am now - I am leaning towards just using that backup file restoring the phone to the state that it was, prior to installation of the Bundle.

Suggestions? Ideas?




No comments:

Post a Comment