Jun 26, 2013

Google Chrome / Shockwave Flash conflict

I am loving Google products, IN GENERAL, right now. I've used Gmail for years but just began using Blogger about two months ago, in order to make/build blog-based websites. (Check them out here.)

I even switched over to using Google Chrome as my default browser. (I had previously used Internet Explorer.) Overall, I am enjoying it - especially for using the Google products like Blogger, Adsense, Google Analytics, etc - but I do occasionally run into a problem (examples: printing out certain forms from the internet, viewing certain pages on the internet, using certain intranet pages at work, etc) and so in those instances I open up an Internet Explorer window to complete the task at hand.

HOWEVER. I have recently been running into this Google Chrome / Shockwave Flash conflict and it is DRIVING ME NUTS.

At first, I was encountering a "The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash" error message. An internet search using the error message led me to the HowToGeek website, where they address this conflict in a blog post. I learned that the problem is a well-known one and has to do with the fact that Google Chrome has its own built-in Flash. The post was easy-to-understand and included plenty of images along with detailed instructions on how to hopefully fix the problem - I even learned this cool trick:

To see a list of all the plug-ins installed in Chrome, type about:plugins in the address bar

Unfortunatetly, I do not think that the Chrome/Shockwave conflict that I am experiencing was due to the problem that the HowToGeek website explained; when I pulled up the list of plug-ins, I could see that there was only one entry for Flash. However, their post did give me the idea to temporarily solve my problem by disabling Chrome’s internal installation of Flash.

I continued working in Google Chrome without further conflict and was pretty proud of myself for having "solved" the problem - until I began seeing error messages on certain Flash-friendly websites, indicating that I needed to install Flash in order to see all of the content within their page.

I pulled up the HowToGeek blog post again and scrolled down the page, where they mentioned Adobe’s Flash download page.

No comments:

Post a Comment