Jul 2, 2013

Correspondence with Blackberry-knowledgeable-but-not-officially-Blackberry website/blog/support guy


From: John
Date: Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930
To: Suzanne

I agree for once with BlackBerry somewhat. I haven't run into your issue before. Its so weird that you have a full backup and you can see the contacts are in fact saved but it's only placing a small amount of them back onto your device. Now BlackBerry should try to help instead of sending you to the carrier because we all know those people know less then anyone and will just say it's a BlackBerry issue. Hopefully this restore corrects everything cuz I hate to recommend a security wipe to anyone. 

Good luck,
John


-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Suzanne B.
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:26 AM
To: John
Subject: Re: Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930

Can I please tell you that I am frustrated with Blackberry? I tweeted them, they tweeted back "Please follow us on Twitter so that we can DM you with help" - I did that, let them know that I was following them and then they sent me a DM "Your problem sounds complicated, please get in touch with your network provider". I'm done with BB as soon as I am able to upgrade according to my Verizon plan without having to pay a fee for changing devices.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. I'll keep you posted - currently trying to restore one last time before I resort to the wipe.

Thanks again,

Suzanne


-----------------------------------------------------------------

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM, John wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. Hopefully the security wipe help. You should just need to go into your device setting, then to security and privacy, then you should see a section for security wipe. Once in that area you just need to type in "BlackBerry" in the section and it will take over. Please remember the wipe can take some time so just let it runs it course. Let me know how things work out. 

Thanks,
John. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Suzanne B.
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:03 AM
To: John
Subject: Re: Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930

Hey John,

Thanks again for your help. I have tried a couple more things with no success and am now considering doing a security wipe. Could you remind me how to do that? (I have a complete backup that I will be able to restore from, once I have done the security wipe.)

Thanks,

Suzanne


-----------------------------------------------------------------

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM, John wrote:

Hi,

The BlackBerry desktop manager should have backed them up and the restore feature should place everything back on the 9930 as it was before. The only thing I ever had to do was place passwords in after a upgrade. I have no where near the amount of contacts on my device as you but could it just be the device is still indexing all the contacts onto the device? I know when I move my sdcard my music takes a hour or so before they all show as being on the card. The only other place I can think of them being backed up is maybe through one of your email accounts? I have a outlook that all my contacts are backed up thru. I have slowly gotten out of the habit of BlackBerry products restoring things the way they should. Just so you know BlackBerry Protect is the app (should be preloaded on your device) that if you lost your phone can kinda tell you the location it's at. Inside the app though is another way to backup things which is just another way to make sure if BlackBerry desktop manager fails you will be safe. If all else fails maybe do a security wipe and a fresh restore? Just make sure you do have a complete backup still available to restore from. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Suzanne
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930

John,

Thanks for the quick response. I checked out that "restore" button, as well - the address book portion was highlit in gray (indicating that it was a read-only file and could not be restored?) and also the number of contacts there is 600. It was when I did the same thing (went back a few days to the last backup performed before I updated to the new bundle) that I found the backup file that included all 3000 contacts - but even then, I was unable to selectively restore just the address book of that file and so I tried restoring the whole file. I am beginning to think that maybe restoring using a backup file does not restore the contacts/address book? So what I have now is my Bold updated to the state that it was two days ago (prior to upgrade and missing 2 days' worth of emails/messages/texts) and with 1/5 of the contacts, lol.

I am just trying to think of another place that my phone/software might have backed them up - no, I did not try Protect (not sure that I've heard of it?) and am kicking myself for not regularly using Backup Assistant, ugh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM, John wrote:


Hi Suzanne,

Did you by chance ever use BlackBerry Protect to backup things? Just to try to help I fired up my 9930 and connected it to BlackBerry desktop manager. If you have your device connected to your system in the upper left corner click on "device" then go to restore. From there make sure the backup you want to restore is highlighted then look down you should see "select device data and settings" click that and the first one is your address book. Does it show the number of contacts that you should have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Suzanne
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 3:19 PM
Subject: Contacts lost after installing OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 to my Blackberry Bold 9930

Hey John,

I found your blog entry in a web search and am hoping that you might be able to help me. I updated my Blackberry Bold 9930 to the OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705, earlier this week (on my desktop, using Blackberry Desktop software). I thought that everything was going well; but at the end of the install/upgrade, this message appeared:

          Your BlackBerry! Device Software is updated and you can safely disconnect your device.

          Warmings were encountered during the loading process:


          Application data could not be restored to the device. The backup data file has been saved to (file name/location within my computer) You can use the Desktop Software Backup/Restore tool to restore this information.

I looked at the screen of my phone and could see that the background on my screen had not been restored, for example, and so I went ahead and used the backup/restore tool (along with the file mentioned) to restore that info. Upon completion, my screen looked the way that it had before and so I assumed it to be a good indication that the upgrade/installation had gone fairly smoothly. The problem that I ran across, however, once I exited the desktop software and disconnected my phone from my computer, is that only a fraction of the contacts on my phone are still in place. (I had approx 3,000 - I now have 600? Looks to me like maybe only the recent contacts were restored?)

Getting all of my contacts back/restored is more important to me than having the OS 7.1.0.991 Bundle 2705 installed and so I went back to the most recent backup file that the Desktop Software had created from my phone and stored on my computer (an hour or so before having updated/installed the 7.1.0.991 Bundle 27050) - and I went ahead and restored my phone with that, hoping that my contacts would be restored. (I did not do a wipe of my phone or anything like that.) No such luck.

I am wondering if you have any suggestions of where I might be able to find/locate all of my contacts and/or how I might get them back? I never used Backup Assistant on my phone (as I had assumed that my contacts were part of what my Desktop Software was backing up, each time) - and I also do not use BBM and so I do not know whether that function of my phone could be helpful or not.

I am a bit at a loss. I've been using Blackberry devices (old-school pager-type, Pearl, Curve, Bold, etc) for 11 years now but am feeling frustrated and losing patience. I consider myself relatively tech-savvy but am losing patience with the brand.

Thanks,

suzanne


No comments:

Post a Comment